Company secretaries are the custodians of corporate governance. Recent SOE and private sector scandals have laid bare serious gaps in applying corporate governance. It also presents an opportunity to learn from these mistakes and ensure that your company does not make the same mistakes.
Join us for this webinar for an update on King IV and a case study application to Steinhoff.
The event covers the text of King IV and provides an expert interpretation and application of the code to your company. The event also provides insights into what went wrong in Steinhoff and how the company secretary may have failed to prevent the disaster.
By the end of the webinar the participant should be able to:
- Understand the concepts driving corporate governance.
- Understand the structure and flow of King IV.
- Understand how to apply King IV in his/her company.
- Explain to their Boards their duties and responsibilities as presented by King IV and the Companies Act.
- Apply a checklist to test compliance with KingIV.
- Reduce risk by studying the Steinhoff case study.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Interaction between the Companies Act and King IV.
- Fundamental concepts in King IV.
- Application and disclosure of King IV.
- Legal status of King IV.
- Applying King IV to different sizes and types of companies.
- All 17 principles contained in the King IV report covering:
- Leadership and organisational ethics;
- Corporate citizenship, strategy and performance;
- Roles and composition of the governing body; and
- Stakeholder relationships.
- All sector supplements to the King IV report covering:
- Retirement Funds;
- SMEs; and
- State-Owned Entities.
- A case study on Steinhoff.
Obtaining your CPD certificate
Attendance of this 4-hour seminar/webinar series will accrue 4 CPD hours for members of a relevant professional body such as ACCA, SAICA, AAT, SAIPA, SAIBA, IAC, CIS, ICBA, LSSA, FPI, and the IBA. The SAAA CPD policy is compliant with IFAC IES7 and is recognised by SAICA, AAT, SAIPA, SAIBA, IAC, CIS and others.
Complete the free online assessment at the end of the event and receive an additional 1 CPD hour.
Who should attend
The following persons will benefit from attending this webinar:
- Persons doing company secretarial work.
- Qualified Company secretaries.
- Registered auditors, RA(SA).
- Accountants in Practice: CA(SA), PA(SA), BAP(SA), ACCA, CIMA, IAC, AGA(SA), CIS, ICBA.
- Tax practitioners
- Board members.
- Legal advisors.
- R399-00. Register now.
- Free if you are already an SAAA Company Secretary subscriber. Click here to create the profile and then register for the event here. There is no charge to create a user profile.
By attending this webinar you will be provided with:
- Summarised slide presentation,
- Detailed course material and reference documents.
- You can ask questions during the webinar via the online portal, and you will also have access to me the presenter via e-mail after the webinar.